Secon Level Master's Diploma
INNOVATION IN CARDIAC SURGERY
Cardiothoracic Department Fondazione G. Monasterio, Massa, Italy
Master “Innovation in Cardiac Surgery: Advances in Minimally Invasive Therapeutics”
The Master Programme is structured in 4 main areas:
Cardiology and Anesthesiology, to acquire theoretical and practical knowledge aimed at pre-operative evaluation of patient candidate to cardiac surgery, to patient management, to risk evaluation, to evaluation of pathologies requiring non -conventional approaches, to cardioanesthesia;
- Cardiac Surgery, to acquire the surgery advanced knowledge and technical expertise;
- Imaging, to acquire the interpretative basis of main imaging techniques in order to optimize the health management, concerning the analysis of the economic, social and cost-benefits aspect of the new techniques.
For this edition the surgical sites for the residential surgical training are: Fondazione G. Monasterio, Regione Toscana-CNR Massa, Italy, Cardiac surgery Division, Clinica Sant’Ambrogio, Milan, Italy, Klinikum Nürnberg Süd, Nurnberg, Germany; Bristol Heart Institute, Bristol, UK; Department of Cardiothoracic, Transplantation and Vascular Surgery, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany; Division of Cardiac Surgery, AKH, Allgemeines Krankenhaus, Wien, Austria; Leipzig Heart Center, University of Leipzig, Leipzig, Germany; Division of Heart and Vascular Surgery, University Hospital Zurich, Switzerland; Department of Heart Surgery, Medical University, Innsbruck, Austria.
Practical internships have a duration of at least 300 hours; it is mandatory to spend 80 hours in the Cardiothoracic Department of the Fondazione G. Monasterio in Massa Italy.
Applications for the Master Course can be made by European and Non-European citizens, who possess a University Degree in Medicine (or an equivalent qualification) and a Specialization in Cardiac Surgery (or an equivalent qualification). Other University Degree qualifications could be accepted under the Evaluation Committee assessment.
Students who are enrolled in University programs and expect to gain the Specialization Degree in Cardiac Surgery within the beginning of the Master are also eligible.
The candidates shall have a good knowledge of English language (at least B2).
The Master will provide surgeons with key elements to assure patients the best, less invasive, and up-to-date treatment.
In particular, the Master aims:
1) to provide the diagnostic basis and criteria for selection of patients for any kind of minimally invasive and/or hybrid approaches;
2) to give a specific insight into old and new imaging techniques, their interpretative basis and their use in the diagnostic and therapeutic processus;
3) to illustrate the theory and the practice of the different minimally invasive and hybrid techniques and to demonstrate the need of a coordinated cardiac team work (examine the -pre, -intra, -post medical aspects relied on the role of the cardiologist, the radiologist, the anesthesiologist);
4) to show, with the support of biomedical manufacturers, the features of the devices currently employed in minimally invasive cardiac surgery;
5) to give a basis of understanding the health economics process with focus on socio-economic impact of innovative medical approaches.
The Master Course has a duration of 18 months and is organized over periods with distinct training objectives:
a) theoretical and methodological, through traditional lectures and WEB based lessons and discussion of clinical cases;
b) practical, aimed at developing of technical skills, through residential surgical training programs in qualified international Institutions identified by the Master Scientific Committee.
- no. 120 hours of lectures and seminars in classroom for 3 weeks (usually every 6 months);
- no. 240 hours of e-learning;
- no. 40 hours of workshop;
- no. 300 hours of residential surgical training programs in the Fondazione G. Monasterio, Regione Toscana-CNR, Massa and in other qualified international Institutions selected by the Master’s Direction.
How to apply
Applicants shall submit their application on-line
Master tuition fee has been fixed to € 5.000,00 and warrants participation to all teaching activities as well as teaching material, accommodation and lunch expenses during lectures in Pisa, access to the e-learning platform, lunches during the lecture weeks at the Sant’Anna School, tutoring and assistance for preparation of the project work, tax stamp of € 16,00 for the Degree.